About and Submissions
Calling all curious Kenyans
Started in 2013, Brainstorm is dedicated to long form writing in and about Kenya. We are looking to find out how the country ticks, what works what doesn’t work, what is beautiful, where do we like to be, what are our hopes, what are our nightmares – what are our stories?
We are looking for essays, photo essays and long form prose poetry pieces.
Have a question you want to explore? Send your submissions to email@example.com, but first, read below:
Brainstorm pays KES 2,000/= per accepted submission. This isn’t much but at least you can have a coffee and a good meal on us. Allow a max of up to 3 weeks after publishing for pay.
If you are still reading after that then here’s what you need to know.
- Send all submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- All submissions should be sent in a word document, times new roman font size 12.
- All submissions should be between 800 and 3000 words.
- For photo essays word count can vary but the photo-series must clearly tell a story
- Kindly do not put your submission in the body of the email.
- The subject of your email should be the premise of the work your are creating phrased as a question e.g if you were submitting the Death by VAT piece your subject would be “What is going on with increasing taxes?”
- All submissions must be the original work of the author.
- Please allow up to 10 days for a response to any submission sent.
- Submissions should be in English.
- All submissions must be about Kenya, preferably by people who reside or have resided in Kenya and written with a Kenyan audience in mind
- Anything goes – pursue your curiosity wherever it takes you.